Saturday 12 May 2012

Wattisham Triathlon 2012

I've written this a long time after the event (22/04/13) so it'll be patchy but I wanted to attempt to remember details in advance of the 2013 Tri...

 Beforehand
  • I got there mid-morning for the sign on and debrief.
  • I was issued number 159 (written on calf) and a start time of 14:20.
  • Much faffing ensued between now and the start.
  • Met up with Simon Lockwood, he talked me through setting up my kit at the bike racks.
  • Further faffing...
  • I wore a Nike Pro Combat compression sleeveless top and Altura Stream cycling shorts
  • I didn't use any energy bars/gels/etc but did have an SIS Go electrolyte drink on my bike and had plenty of bananas and flapjacks before hand.

The Swim (300m)
  • Wattisham Tri has an indoor swim. The pool is divided into 6 lanes, you swim up and down each lane and after 12 lengths (300m) you climb out of the far side.
  • Around 14:15 I queued up by the side of the pool and waited my turn.
  • I set off too quickly and tired myself out by the 6th lap.
  • Plodded to the end but was overtaken on my final length.
  • As I climbed out of the pool my legs were like jelly and my head was spinning (mix of tiredness and adrenaline).
  • Ran/wobbled to the transition point.
    • Very quick dry down
    • Socks, lid and SPDs on (socks a proper faff)
    • Ran with bike to exit of transition area


The Ride (20km)
  • The swim had properly tired me out and for the 1st mile or so I couldn't focus on the road
  • I even went off the wide clear track at one point on to the grass verge!
  • The off-course moment seemed to clear my mind and I finally found my rhythm.
  • The course involves 2 laps of the airbase including riding up and down the runway.
  • The runway has a strong wind passing down it, so you fly along it to begin with, then do a hairpin turn at the end into a wall of wind.
  • The slog into the headwind was very hard work I kept looking up and seeing a marshall in a hi-viz vest at the end but he never seemed to get any closer!
  • Once back at the transition area I dismounted and ran to my transition point.
    • Removed my lid
    • Swapped SPDs for trainers


The Run (5km)
  • Before the Tri I'd been recording my runs on Endomondo and had been getting around 24-25min times for 5km.
  • According to a comment I made on Facebook I was suffering significant stomach cramps as I started the run.
  • My legs struggled to do anything for the first 1/2mile.
  • Grabbed water at the 1st water-stop but ended up wearing most of it.
  • After the 1st lap I found my pace.
  • On the final straight I somehow managed to sprint the full length of it (200m?)

In the end I was 88th out of 262 entrants or 16th out of 30 in the "35-39 year old males" category.

My split times were as follows;

  • Swim + Transition: 00:08:20
  • Bike + Transition: 00:38:07
  • Run: 00:22:20
  • Total: 01:08:48
I'd set myself what I though was a realistic goal of 1:15 and a stretch of 1:10 so very chuffed to beat my stretch!
 
Karen Aldis took a few pics of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment